Sunday, April 11, 2010

Height bigotry in the straight world.

A straight male friend of mine pointed out to me that with most straight couples, the male is taller than the female, with the exception of short wealthy guys. I thought I'd do a simple experiment. I was shopping at Costco this week and out of all the straight couples I saw, 99% of the time, the guy was taller than the female.

I talked to two Costco female employees at check-out, explaining my new understanding of height bigotry in the straight world. They both said they hated to admit it but said it was true, that women typically only want to be with a guy who is taller than her.

The one Costco female said she is 1/2 inch taller than her husband and she feels very self conscious about this. She said, even though they are happily married, she still worries about it.

The question is, what's the big deal about this? The big deal is that millions of women have probably passed by a better man simply based on his height.

I have one thing to say about height bigotry in the straight world: It's disgusting.

No comments: