Saturday, January 15, 2011

Who do you know and why should I believe you?

If I said I knew all my neighbors on my block, you'd probably believe me. If I said I knew everyone in the town where I live, you'd need more information. Is it a small town or not? If the town had hundreds of thousands of people, you certainly would have doubts about my statement.

If I said I knew everyone in the state of California, you'd immediately say I was crazy. If I said I knew everyone in the world, you know I was crazy. You certainly would not take me seriously.

If I said I knew all the heads of state of all the countries of the world, you think I was probably crazy as well. Even though this is actually possible.

Now if I change the  word "people" to "god", a thunder and lighting GOD, there are many people who would now believe me that I know a "god". There would also be many people who would think I was crazy.

Do you see the problem with people claiming they know a, thunder and lighting, celestial god?

Therefore, when someone tells me they know a god, you can be reassured, I do think they are crazy. This is why we have terms like wishful thinking and self-delusion. And this is why people of reason and rationality simply do not have respect for people living in the Scientific Age who believe in invisible friends.

No comments: