Wednesday, March 07, 2018

How To Extend The Life Of Your Razor Blade

To go directly to the steps to extend the life of your razor blades, please scroll down the end of this blog article.

I remember when I first started shaving, that I used a single-edge razor blade and this was very prone to small cuts and bleeding. When I discovered double-edged razor blades, it was such a pleasure to shave. I would rarely cut myself. I have therefore used a double-edge razor for most of my life.

For me, double-edge razor blades usually lasted about a week and I thought this was normal. And if you remember, razor blades where fairly inexpensive years ago, so it really didn't matter to me how long the razor lasted. I simply wanted a sharp razor for a nice clean shave.

Even though there are newer razors on the market with three blades or more, and while there are electric shavers, I simply prefer the double-edge razor. The one I use is the Gillette Sensor Excel. It has two blades and provides a very nice shave.

Gillette Sensor Excel razor blades.

About 10 to 12 years ago, the cost of razor blades started to go up. So, I started to purchase razor blades online. The cost was more affordable but it was still an expensive proposition to shave. Eventually, I realized to do some research online to find out how to extend the life of a razor blade. Fortunately, there were articles on this.

The main issue with razors becoming dull is water. The enemy of the razor is water and damp air. The articles I read recommended you pat dry your razor blade and never store your razor and extra razor blades in the damp bathroom. For many years, I have done this. My razor blades last about a month now. I store my pack of razor blades in a hall closet (where it's dry) and I keep my razor blade in a dry room.

However, I have now added a new technique to extending the life of a razor blade. After I pat dry the razor, I use a air dryer on the blade! 

Hair Dryer

Here are the complete steps I use to extend the life of my razor blades. Remember, the enemy of the razor is water and dampness. Never store your razor and extra razor blades in the bathroom or in the bathtub!
  • Rinse the razor blade thoroughly. 
  • Inspect the razor blade and check to see if there is any remaining shaving cream and small cut bits of facial hair between any of the blades. Rinse again if necessary, to make sure all shaving cream is gone.
  • Inspect the blades again. See if there are any remaining longer hairs in the blade. Take them out. (You can use your finger nails to do this or a pair of tweezers.)
  • Tap the handle of my razor blade to get the excess water out.
  • I then run the razor blades once, gently over a dry towel. In the direction opposite of the cutting edge of the razor blades.
  • Adjust the dryer for hot and high and blow dry the razor until you feel you there is no remaining water in the razor. 
  • And to extend the life of your razor blade handle, dry it with a towel and make sure you dry it off each time with your hair dryer. 
  • Store the razor and your extra razor blades in another room that is typically a dry room. (Or you can store your razor and razor blades in a dry storage closet.) 
  • To keep your shaving can from rusting, I dry the shaving can after I use it and keep this in a dry storage closet as well. 
I hope this helps!

No comments: