Saturday, April 12, 2008

How Americans treat other Americans.

I work for a printer, which by the way, is open from early morning to late at night. Two ladies came to our front counter the other night and wanted some business cards. It took about 3-5 minutes to have someone from the appropriate department to assist them because myself and other production staff were in the middle of running print jobs. None of us could get away from our machinery at the exact moment when these two (as it turns out) potential customers came through our front doors.

When I got to the front counter, the two ladies told me they were outraged that it took me such a long time to come to the front counter to help them with their business card pricing. I thought to myself, "Right, I planned on delaying coming to the front counter to piss you two people off. Jeez, chill out." I explained that I was in the middle of production which is why it took extra time to meet them at the front counter. They were offended that I did not console them and apologize profusely for not attending to their every want and need in lightening flash speed.

They yelped at me, "You mean you don't have enough staff to help customers (which they were not, they walked in off the street and did not have an account with us) and run your prints at the same time?" I wanted to say, "Why are you asking me, an employee, why we don't have enough staff, ask the owner." A manager at the front counter whisked me away and said he'd handle them. Later on that night, he said to me, in private, "I don't think you handled (the irate potential customers--my addition) them appropriately."

Appropriately? Are you kidding me? Has anyone in the United States traveled to other countries and experienced how nice people treat each other? I've traveled from Europe to Asia, and when I first visited Thailand, I quickly found out the Thai people are probably some of the most polite and courteous people when dealing with others in public. They take great offense when someone is outwardly upset in public. They understand, as a nation, to respect others at all times.

What is wrong with America? We claim to be such a great nation, yet, we don't treat others with respect and will get mad at the drop of a hat when we are in public places such at stores, restaurants and while in traffic. It's the people that make the nation, not the nation, that make the people. It seems as though the collective mindset in America is, "If I might spend money or when I actually spend money, this gives me the license to be rude to any merchant when purchasing products or services."

No comments: