Thursday, January 08, 2009

What If?

What if I said, "Seniors don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People in their 20's don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Asians don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People of Arab descent don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "African Americans don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People who are a mixed-race don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Women don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Men don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People who have interracial marriages don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Christians don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Atheists don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People who don't drink coffee don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Blonds don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People with green eyes don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Single people don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Divorced people don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People who like spaghetti don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People with cancer don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Physically challenged people don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People under 5 feet and people over 6 feet don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People with IQs less than 80 don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "KKK members don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People who skateboard don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People who wear only black with black make-up don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People who like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "People who make less than $25,000.00 a year don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Trekkies (People who are avid fans of Start Trek.) don't have the right to vote."

What if I said, "Gays don't have the right to marry."

Homophobic person, "Well... uh hum... being gay is different. It doesn't apply."

Gay person, "That is the point. We are different, in one aspect of our lives. It seems that homophobic people can only focus one thing. He/she is gay. As if gay people have no hobbies, likes or dislikes, all wear the same clothing, eat the same food, drive the same car, have the same hair style, talk the same, shake hands the same, etcetera.

People living with blinders on don't see a lot. Gay is not the only aspect a person's life. We all have multiple differences that make up each one of us—gay, straight, bisexual, or transgender.


Different does not mean bad.
That is the point, we (gays) are different in one aspect of our lives—our sexuality. Did we lose the right to our citizenship because we are gay? Did we lose the right to get a driver's license because we are gay? Did I lose the right to vote since we are gay? Do we still have to pay taxes since we are gay?

Why don't we have the right to marry?

We are simply human beings like the rest of the straight world. We all share the same humanity."

No comments: