Wednesday, November 26, 2008

If you can Think it, Engineers can Build it.

We have wonderful weather in California. Why not make a protected slow moving lane next to all the freeways in San Diego and Los Angeles, for bicycles and slow moving (40 mph or less) solar vehicles? Yes, engineers can figure out how to retrofit all our freeways and yes, I'd bicycle on these roads.

Solar vehicle? Of course. In August 2008, I saw a small European pick-up truck at a grocery store parking lot in Hillcrest. I was awestruck and just stood there looking at the truck. Attached on posts was a flat solar panel, the length of the truck.

A lady was carrying her groceries towards the truck and said, "That's my solar truck!" She purchased the pick-up truck (it has an electric motor), attached a solar panel to the top of the truck and drives around all day in San Diego, without having to plug it in or pump gas.

She said it's a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle. It's maximum speed is 40 mph and is not allowed on the freeways. To me, that's the perfect vehicle and it's my next vehicle.

No comments: