Saturday, November 01, 2008

My Parents Friends and my Friends

As I look back to the 1970s, when I was growing up, I remember that my parents friends where white heterosexual couples. I've told my parents recently that my friends are straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, white, African American, Mexican and Asian. My mother did not know what to say.

I asked her, do you have any gay friends? Her response was, well no, and it's because they like to hang out together by themselves. What a nut case! She actually believes, "Birds of a feather, flock together." Fine mother, then you can have the comfort of knowing that your best friends are your hateful, bigoted and intolerant friends who flock together at your church.

For the record, I do not associate with people like my parents. Period.

No comments: