Friday, October 31, 2008

On Faith

I called a homophobic church in La Mesa (East County San Diego, California) yesterday and I spoke with a representative. I made many points, I can't list all my points or his points here, just the highlights. It's funny, he used the antiquated term "practicing homosexuals" excuse me as I vomit. I didn't waste my breath and tell him I have friends who are "practicing heterosexuals."

He told me he feels that all people are born straight (Of course, the only sexuality he knows is straight! That is the only sexuality that makes sense to him.) and that it's the sin in the world that causes people to turn (ha!) to be gay. I said what's good for me is good for you. If I was straight and went to gay, then you went from gay to straight. Of course, he didn't get it. To say he went from gay to straight is as silly as saying I went from straight to gay. He also pretended not to understand the point of 1843. See earlier posted 1843 blog.

After much discussion I said to him that his sexuality is right for him and not for me and vice versa, I said, let's be honest, science currently does not have a definitive answer as to why there are different sexualities. Once it is scientifically proven why, the masses will know and most bigotry and hatred will be squelched.

I said to him, neither of us are scientists. Neither of can categorically state why this happens. I know one thing, I know what I like and I know what you tell me what you like. The fact that you think all people should be straight is your best guess. It's as simple as that.

Then he went on to suggest he had this nugget of truth about salvation (that he felt obligated to tell me about) and how to get to heaven. I know why Christians do this, it's their calling to try to convert people so a jewel can be added to their crown when they reach heaven. I guess there is money in heaven. Who would have known?

Faith. He's guessing. I kills me that Christians say they know God is real (and this guy told me this also, that he knows God is real); however, he is guessing. That's his best guess.

I told him, I have a great belief too. I know Elvis. I pray to him, I talk to him and he's in my apartment when I am there. In fact, he's with me on a daily basis. Doesn't this sound like a child's secret invisible friend? I said if I went running around telling people I have a personal relationship with Elvis, people would say I'm crazy. I'm not sure if he made the connection.

No comments: