Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Real Threat to Marriage

The only threat to a couple's marriage is: Divorce, infidelity or disloyalty. Another couple being married whether straight or gay cannot negatively impact another marriage. Unless one of the people in a straight marriage is actually gay (and deeply in the closet) and decides to come out when gay marriage is legal and then decides to get a divorce.

Is a single mother or a single father with kids a threat to marriage? Is an Aunt or Uncle or Grandparents raising their relative's kids a threat to marriage? If I was a single mom or dad or a relative raising my siblings kid(s), I'd be ticked off with all the talk of what makes a perfect family. Are the people who say a marriage is only between a man and woman saying single parents and other relatives raising their sibling's kids undermining marriage? What about single people like myself, am I undermining marriage? As a single person, am I of less value to society since I'm not married? Does being single make me harmful to our society?

What is a family? I like to think a family ensures that no one is left behind because all members are accepted because of their love towards each other. People who love each other no matter what their sexuality is. I know an Asian family who not only loves each other but they will financially help each other. If someone in their family needs a car, they all pitch in a buy the other person a car. They put their money where their love is. I've never heard of an average American family doing this.

Is a family made of love or is a family made of heterosexual couple who claim they have the last word on human sexuality? Why do certain heterosexual people believe there is no room for diversity in a family committed to loving each other?

No comments: